Saturday, December 19, 2009

Morning update... they weren't wrong for once. 13 inches of snow at 7am and the little bit of sleet that's been coming down is now changing back over to snow. Another 4-8 inches possible today. Good thing we took this one seriously.

Plows haven't been down our street and probably won't any time soon. They are just starting to tackle the main roads and we're not only not on one of those, but are at the very end of a dead end street. I'm wondering if the guy down the road who has all the big toys like trucks, motorcycles, jet skis has a plow for his giant redneck pickup.

I'm going to have to go shovel out the back patio so Oakley has a place to potty, lol. He's up to his doggy knees right now and is hating life. I always tell myself, when life seems hard, just be thankful you don't have to go to the bathroom outside! I guess I will have to shovel the path to my car eventually as well, though the mail here is dropped on the street side, so no need to worry about the safety of the walking mail person like I used to have to.

The parental units are supposed to be driving down from Michigan tomorrow for the holidays. They should be fine east of here into the OBX, but I keep telling them that they'll be driving through 12-18 inches through much of West Virginia and Virginia coming from the northwest. They need a reminder that though they are used to driving in this kind of thing in Michigan, that's a state where they are prepared and handle it well. Here in our state, we're pretty bad about the roads and are just generally not well prepared to handle snow, much less this mcuh of it. People here also have no idea how to drive in it for the most part, so it's a little more hazardous because of other drivers. Hoping they can get down here safely.

I have my snow shovel handy, but as I look at my completely buried truck I don't recall where my scraper/brush has ended up, being a few years out of the midwest now. Glad we don't have to be anywhere this weekend. Hoping the propane tank holds out for the fireplace... we've been burning through it lately with the cold weather. Should be interesting.

No comments: